Tuesday 13 August 2013

DIY Macbook Sleeve


Recently I treated myself to a new Macbook and I knew in order to keep it looking shiny and new I would need a protective sleeve to keep it in. After looking online without any luck, I decided that I would be better off having a go at making one myself. I was very happy with how it turned out and so thought I would share how I made it here as a fun DIY post! (If you don't have a Macbook, this tutorial could also make a cute Ipad or mobile phone sleeve!) 


I used a sewing machine to make my Macbook sleeve as it was more convenient and time effective. However, if you don't have the luxury of a sewing machine, this project can be hand sewn! The bias binding I used was made from some pretty vintage fabric. If you would like to make your own just follow this tutorial here


1. Layout the felt fabric flat and cut around Macbook, leaving half an inch of space around on each side for a seam allowance. Allow enough fabric for the piece of felt to be folded over the Macbook and for the flap (the entire sleeve is only made up of one cut piece). 


2. Sew a length of the bias binding along one of the shorter sides of the piece of felt. 


3.  Using a semi-circle template, round off the other short end.
4. Fold the end with the bias binding to the point at which it covers the Macbook and pin it in place. 
5. Sew the remaining bias binding from one end of the sleeve to the other, stitching the fold together. 


6. Hand sew the attachable clasps in place.


7. Cover the self cover button with some of the excess bias binding fabric and hand sew into position and then it's finished!


Ta da! One cute as a button Macbook sleeve! I hope you find this tutorial helpful and if you have any questions, just ask! If you have a go at making one, send me a picture. I would love to see it! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous Janelle! I love the vintage fabric trim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a splendid post, would you mind sharing the font you used to edit this gorgeous craft post sugar?

    ReplyDelete